Alumni Association Constitutional Changes
Alumni Association Referendum Results
By a vote of 743 to 582, alumni voted to approve the amendments to the Alumni Association Constitution and Bylaws. Thank you for your interest in this process. We are grateful for everything you do for Reed.
Balloting was administered by the college using Qualtrics, a data collection platform. Each member of the alumni community was issued a unique voter code to vote, and votes were tallied through Qualtrics software.
Alumni Association Referendum Information
After several years of discussion, Reed's Alumni Board voted 20–5 on June 8, 2018, to amend the constitution and bylaws of the Alumni Association.
The college received more than 50 objections to the changes, triggering a ballot of the entire alumni community per the current constitution. Please find information related to the constitutional changes below.
Voting ran January 22 through February 5. Alumni were sent their unique code via email or postcard to the address we have on file. If you did not receive your unique code, please contact the Alumni Programs office (503/777-7589 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to update your information. The Alumni Programs office is open from 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. pacific time on weekdays.
The amendments will pass if approved by a majority of those who vote. Results will be posted on this page after the vote closes.
Alumni Association Referendum Voter Guide
Alumni volunteers have developed an online voter guide for the alumni community. This consists of a case statement in favor and opposition, as well as individual personal statements.
- Current Alumni Association Constitution and Bylaws
- Alumni Board Amendments passed June 2018 (Includes red line edits)
- September 2018 Reed Magazine article "Alumni Board Votes To Amend Constitution"
- September 2018 Quest article "Alma Matters?"
- Current Alumni Board membership and committees
Alumni Association Referendum Timeline
The following timeline was developed for the Alumni Association referendum:
- December 3, 2018: 500-word in favor/opposition position statements due to Alumni Programs.
- December 10, 2018: 200-word personal statements may be submitted to Alumni Programs. An email request to submit statements will be sent to interested parties, 53 original objectors, and the Alumni Board.
- January 7, 2019: All 200-word personal statements must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. pacific time.
- January 14, 2019: All statements are published on the Alumni Programs referendum webpage.
- January 22, 2019: Alumni Association Referendum voting begins.
- February 5, 2019: Alumni Association Referendum voting concludes at 11:59 p.m. pacific time.
- February 6, 2019 (Tentative): Alumni Association Referendum results announced (results will be announced as soon as possible).
Questions? Please contact Alumni Programs at email@example.com or 503/777-7589.