About the Reed Legal Network
The Reed Legal Network is a growing alumni initiative to build and foster a network among fellow alumni that offers mutual support in developing new or already established legal careers. This includes helping current students explore potential careers in the legal field as well as connecting Reedies with legal needs to Reed alums who might advise or represent them.
How to get more involved
The Reed Legal Network has a presence on Facebook and LinkedIn, coordinates on-campus get togethers during the Forum for Advancing Reed in the fall and Reunions in June, and hosts various events throughout the year. If you are not already a member of the group on Facebook or LinkedIn, please join!
The Reed Legal Network is led by a steering committee of alumni volunteers who meet monthly via conference call to plan activities and work on initiatives. If you are interested in serving on the steering committee, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
Reed Legal Network Steering Committee
Reed Legal Network Events
The Reed Legal Network hosts a variety of events throughout the year for those working or interested in a career in law. Past events have included alumni and student mixers at alumni law firms, panels on legal topics at Reunions, and introductions to practice areas with alumni in the judiciary, appellate, litigation, and transactional areas of the law.
- Thursday, June 11, 2020, 4 p.m. PDT—Calling all Reedies working in the legal field or who are interested in law! Join us for an engaging Reed Legal Network Zoom discussion during Virtual Reunions. Andrew Schpak ’01 and Darlene Pasieczny '01 will provide an overview of Reed Legal Network’s activities, Avy Mallik ’07 will talk about his experiences as a law student and public-interest attorney working on the foreclosure crisis during the Great Recession, and David Gossett ’91 will share stories of working as a Supreme Court litigator in private practice, as a lawyer at the FCC and the CFPB, and now back in private practice focusing on the regulation of the tech industry. Join us to hear from these distinguished alumni and to connect with one another. Register online.
Reed Legal Network Referral Database
The Reed Legal Network Steering Committee has worked closely with the college to develop a legal network-specific search function in the Alumni Directory. To search for a Reedie lawyer in a particular field or geographic area, indicate your preference under the “Networks tab” of the Alumni Directory. You’ll be able to see what lawyers are licensed to practice in your area as well as those who are open to networking or taking on new clients.
If you work in law and would like to be a part of this database, simply update your personal information on IRIS:
- Log into IRIS and go to "Info Update & Admin".
- Go to the “Networks tab”
- You should see a block called "Legal Network"
- Click edit, update your information, and submit
- You will now be searchable in the directory!
Legal Education Access Fund (LEAF)
The Legal Network established the Legal Education Access Fund in 2019 to support students interested in pursuing a career in law. Funding is available to current students with financial need for LSAT registration fees and prep courses, as well as law school application fees.
I give to LEAF because I want to encourage Reedies to not only take the LSAT, but to prepare for it with quality materials that can really improve test scores, and expand options at competitive law schools. —Darlene Pasieczny ’01
Interested in giving to LEAF? Simply note LEAF in the Reasons for Giving section of your donation at reed.edu/givenow.
For more information and to get involved contact email@example.com.