Diversity and Inclusion Committee
The Diversity and Inclusion Committee of the Reed College Alumni Board works in partnership with Alumni Programs to reach, engage, and support Reed’s diverse alumni. Our mission is to center anti-oppressive, intersectional, and liberatory practices: to create alumni spaces that both recognize past harm and encourage healing and uplift; to promote college programming that emphasizes equity and justice; and to build a strong sense of community and (re)connection among alumni and students from historically marginalized and minoritized backgrounds.
Interested in getting involved? Contact the Alumni Programs and Annual Fund office at email@example.com or 503/777-7589 for more information.
The creation of identity-based alumni affinity networks is an initiative of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee of the Alumni Board. These networks provide a unique opportunity for community-building and engagement for alumni from historically marginalized/minoritized communities. While the groups are identity-specific, they are also inherently intersectional, and alumni should join any and all groups with which they self-identify. The goals of affinity networks are to create:
- COMMUNITY—Create and sustain a strong, thriving social community for alumni from historically marginalized backgrounds that honors their distinct, challenging, and rewarding experiences while at Reed.
- CONNECTIONS—Partner with the college when requested to create supportive connections for each network’s members, young alumni, current students, and applicants.
- EDUCATION—Promote awareness and education about the unique college experience of each network’s members.
- EVENTS—Organize and hold annual social, educational, and/or networking events for each network’s members.
- INFORMATION—Provide information on college activities and events of interest to each network’s constituency, and support and promote programming by the college that reflects their interests, concerns, and perspectives.
- NETWORKING—Build a robust professional network for each network’s constituency.
- VISIBILITY—Increase the visibility of these alumni and their professional, social, and cultural contributions and achievements.
Alumni of Color Network
The Alumni of Color (AOC) Network seeks to enhance the alumni experience for Reedies from historically marginalized racial and ethnic communities. Join the network.
First-Gen Alumni Network
The First-Gen Alumni Network seeks to enhance the alumni experience for Reedies from all backgrounds whose parents or legal guardians have not received a four-year bachelor’s degree. Join the network.
LGBTQIA2S+ Alumni Network
The LGBTQIA2S+ Alumni Network seeks to enhance the alumni experience for Reedies who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, two spirit, or who claim any number of diverse sexualities and/or gender identities. Join the network.
Interested in starting an identity-based affinity network that isn't listed above? Fantastic! Please review the guidelines for networks, and email the Alumni Programs and Annual Fund office at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Racial Justice Resources
Please find the Diversity and Inclusion Committee's Racial Justice Resources here.